Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Missing Pumpkin Season

I've never really been a huge fan of pumpkin recipes during Autumn. I usually always choose apple pie over pumpkin pie (I actually don't even like pumpkin pie) but this year I've been crazy over pumpkin. I guess it must be that I'm missing the Fall festivities in America.

The first pumpkin recipe that caught my eye was this recipe that I found on Pinterest, Butternut Squash Pie Bars. I'm calling this a pumpkin recipe because here, in Australia, they call most squash, excluding zucchini, pumpkin - butternut pumpkin for example. Anyway, I tried this recipe - excluding the brown sugar in the crust and replacing the agave nectar with glucose syrup - and it was so tasty; not very sweet but so delicious.

I guess I really wanted more pumpkin because soon after those pie bars I found a recipe for Pumpkin Mac and had to try it. I think I was really intrigued because I usually make baked vegan Mac and "Cheese" with frozen winter squash and this recipe was for a creamy Kraft-like Mac on the stove. I changed the recipe slightly because I can't find canned pumpkin here, I had to boil and puree the pumpkin before I could use it in the recipe, and I omitted the lemon juice and red bell pepper just because I didn't have those ingredients on hand. I also added garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and mustard powder. This recipe is now my go-to lunch recipe because C LOVES it. I think she enjoys it because it challenges her fine motor skills but also because it is just plain delicious.

Her favorite! Pumpkin Mac!
Being cute
Done eating and now just playing with her food 

The next pumpkin recipe that is on my "to-make" list is this YUMMY looking Pull Apart Pumpkin Cinnamon Bread. I'm hoping to get the time this weekend to make it.


What are your favorite pumpkin recipes during the Fall/Thanksgiving season? 


No comments:

Post a Comment